There are some days when a single income gets the best of me and I struggle in my flesh to trust that God has the best for us, and that staying home with our kids is the best choice for our family. We truly feel like God has made this clear to us and directed us this way. So when days are hard financially, Satan always throws my education in my face, and tempts me with a teaching career. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that he is tempting me because of the teaching, because even though I love to teach, it is more the money that is the temptation. Today was one of those days, an expected bill turned out to be an unexpected amount and it took me into a tailspin. After I talked to my sweet husband, I got a call from my mom (whom I cherish) and as I was crying on the phone telling her of my woes, my precious daughter sat watching me.
When I got off the phone I silently chided myself for behaving the way I was in front of the kids. I know that children are imitators, and they will behave the same sinful attitudes that you demonstrate in their daily lives. Now, I am not saying that crying on the phone is sinful, but my sinful attitude of distrust was being openly displayed for my daughter at that moment.
Avarie asked me why I was crying and I told her that I was stressed out, and was just talking to Grammy about it. This is how the conversation went:
"Mommy what does stressed out mean?"
I was thinking about this answer when very clearly it came to me...and I said
"well, Avarie, stressed out means that mommy isn't trusting God to provide for us."
To which Avarie replied "Well mommy, that is silly, you should trust God".
"Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself." Matthew 6:34
Now, I know to a 4 year old that (has no idea what stress is) that is pretty simple thinking...but truly isn't that what was happening? I was not trusting that God would provide for us. God knew about the unexpected bill, God knows how it will be taken care of, God continues to expect me to trust Him and do what He has called me to. Sometimes all you need is a very precious 4 year old to speak truth into your life!
"Truly I say to you unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 18:3
This verse becomes more true to me as I daily see the simple faith of my children.
5 comments:
God uses our kiddos in amazing ways, doesn't He?? Thanks for sharing, Tyffany!
Awesome... Children are a blessing in so many ways, aren't they?
Before I had them, I had no idea they would be used as such tools in the Potter's hand as He molds me and shapes me (and it's not always pleasant, that's for sure!!)
Hang in there, Tyffany... And praise God that he caused you to realize that our enemy tries to tempt us to doubt the path that we believe God has laid out for us! I will be praying for you, sista'!
I trust that in the future (if not now!) you will be able to shout along with the Psalmist, "I will sing to the LORD, because he has dealt bountifully with me!" Psalm 13:6 :0)
What a great example of how to have faith like a child!
It's Jill, not Kara! :o)
beautiful post.
Thanks for sharing how the Lord encouraged you. It's amazing how the Lord uses our kids to sanctify and refine us!!!
Sorry about your bill...bummer!
Post a Comment