Pages

Friday, October 01, 2010

I am not Italian...

...in fact, I am a smattering of many nationalities, Danish and German making up the most of it. 

This is my grandmother (with Lylah),
many people LONG to be famous, but few achieve a sort of rock star notoriety. 
My grandmother, at least in our family, has achieved that because of one simple thing.

Chicken and Noodles

Now, this is no ordinary Campbell's chicken and noodles. There are people in my family that would sell body parts for one small bowl of this blessed meal.  Now, I will preface this by saying, it may have more to do with the memories that go with this meal, than the meal itself.  But that is something someone else's psychiatrist can discuss.  I will forever believe it is the noodles themselves.  This meal was one of my grandpa's favorite.  I remember going to my grandparents house and seeing these noodles hanging off of various cupboards and chairs, tables and built-ins, drying, preparing for the on slaught of rambuncious children and (apparently) starving teenagers.  I think of this meal, and I can smell it cooking, see my grandpa in his flannel shirt, sitting at the counter trying to "sneak" a bite of the pot of chicken and noodles and my grandma swatting away at his hand telling him he needed to wait.  I know I am not alone in these memories. 

So TODAY I thought, "I think I will make this meal", or at least attempt. 

I am not strong enough to conquer the entire meal, so I began with just the noodles.  We will attempt the chicken another day.  Today I will make the noodles and add to it my version of chicken alfredo, that I hope one day will make me famous like my grandmother. 

The noodles aren't hard, but are time consuming. 
The recipe for Grandma's noodles can be found under the recipes tab at the top of this blog. 

I would post pictures of my counters (or my MIL's counters) covered with said noodles, however my camera is out of batteries, and I don't have any more right now.  So you will have to use your imagination!

No comments: