Pages

Monday, March 08, 2010

Happy Birthday

Today would have been Erika's 30th birthday.
It is hard to express the feelings today is bringing to me.
I wish that we could have celebrated today together, but she is celebrating in Heaven I am certain. There are many lessons I have taken away from Erika's tragic death. Today I will share one with you.
Time, cherish it.
Erika left behind an adoring husband, two precious boys who are now 3 and 1, and friends who will always have a different view on life because of her life and death. Erika was a cautious woman, someone who thought through every single action in her life. I have learned in her death, that we must cherish every moment. Erika's boys will now be raised without a mother. I think of my own children and realize how precious the time I have with them is. I pray that I am able to see them to adulthood and beyond, but if God has a different plan for me, then I hope and pray that the time I have been blessed with isn't wasted. Wasted on trivial things. I pray that I am made aware that they will be only with me for a short time, and the time I do have needs to be productive. Showing them how much our Savior has done, how much Tim and I adore them, and how we long for them to be in the family of God. I have been reminded how precious friendship is. The people that matter, that make a difference in your life. Make it count. Don't put off til tomorrow the stuff that can be done today. Let them know through words and actions how important they are to you. My husband and family, what if today was the last day you saw any of them? Would you leave with peace knowing you have served them, and loved them the way that Christ would have you? I know that daily I struggle with this, and am thankful that God has given me a constant reminder. Rather than a bitter resentment toward Him at the death of my dear friend. I think of her and her family often, I want to call and chat with her, and cannot. It has been almost a year since her death. And through it, God has grown me. And I know He has grown others through it as well. There is no way for me to bring Erika back, and thankfully I know one day I will see her and praise the Father with her! But she has left behind precious memories, and reminders of all that I waste when I don't live every day to the fullest that God intends. Erika Jean Coffey and her baby James

8 comments:

Shan and the J's said...

Thanks for sharing....that was beautiful! :)

The Chargualaf Family said...

What a sweet picture that was at the end, Tyffany. Praying God comforts your heart at this time, as you remember Erika's b-day...

Thanks for sharing that post; very worth-while reading, and good things for us to be mindful of, always. Thanks.

Jon and Erin, Hudson & Paxton & Dashel said...

Thank you for the reminders. It is very apparent that Erika holds a special place in your heart, she was a very special woman. And so are you!

nwestmama said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. A sobering reminder of how fragile, quick and precious our lives are. We will never regret running after our Lord and cherishing and training our kids and serving our husbands, but there will be much to regret if we waste our lives and silly and foolish things. I hope and pray these sort of reminders move me more toward obedience!

nwestmama said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
becky said...

all I have to say is thanks for those words! i have tears running down my cheeks. in sadness both sadness and rejoicing that she is with our saviour! there is not a day that doesn't go by for me either that I don't wish I could just pick up the phone or hop online and chat with her. i love what you wrote and i know that I too have learned to look differently at what I treasure. thanks for reminding me of the journey God has led us all on. thanks for being my friend!

Kendall said...

Thank you Tyffany. I've been thinking of you all (the family of you college girl friends and all of your families) and hope you're doing well. I think the past few months and the next few months are going to be hard ones and I appreciate the friendships and contacts that continue to be in place.
The kids are TOO cute, you have such an amazing family. Where did Lyla get those great little curls? :) I love reading your blog and how you rejoice in your family.
Kendall

Hailey said...

such a beautiful post friend. I sure tear up everytime I think of her - which I find is much more often that I thought it would be. I think I find that being at the same stage in life as her makes me realize everything you said about not wasting any moment.